Monday, February 15, 2010

THE SHORT LIST

What's in a list?

Click for larger image

Well, for me, quite a lot actually. If it's one of the cocktail lists I regularly put together for my myriad of international clients, it's full of creativity, originality, variety, appealing flavor combinations, unique concepts, and, hopefully, attention getting names and descriptions. My cocktails are undoubtedly a part of me. And I want every single person that tries one of my creations to feel that. If you think about it, that's a pretty tall order.

Click for larger image

And that translates into training. Because what's the point if the guy behind the bar making your cocktail doesn't put any love into it? What's the point if the girl shaking the shaker does it half-heartedly? There's no point at all if it doesn't get delivered properly.

Click for larger image

I just put together one of said lists for arguably the coolest spot under a year old in the city of Jakarta, Indonesia. The place is called Immigrant and I just finished creating for them six incredibly innovative tipples--and that's not just by Javanese standards; I would confidently be able to introduce this selection to an imbibely distinguished Manhattan crowd.

Click for larger image

I utilized a bunch of common local ingredients that people have likely never used in a similar way: an Indonesian leaf called pohpohan, basil seeds, grilled watermelon, and fresh aloe leaf. I also used some common ingredients that are quite uncommon behind the bar: green bell pepper, dates, lollipops, and a few types of candies. Then, I gave them unorthodox names such as: "Widowed Rich Bitch", "Whoah-Whoah-Whoah", "God Gave You Style and Grace", and "Take A Chance On Me". And of course I made sure that the balance of flavors was spot on and that the bartenders had a complete handle on all aspects of each drink.

Click for larger image

And did I mention that the group of bartenders over at Immigrant are an exceptional bunch?

Click for larger image

I've been getting a lot of questions from people I meet lately that go something like this: "So what exactly is it that you do?" Well, this is it. (The short description, that is.)

Click for larger image

Like I said, it's a short list. So sip slowly. Enjoy.

—Joseph

Jakarta, West Java, Indonesia

1 comment:

Bart said...

"I see America drinking the fabulous cocktails I make.
America's getting stinking on something I stir or shake.
The Sex on the Beach, the schnapps made from peach, The Velvet Hammer, the Alabama Slammer.
I make things with juice and froth, The Pink Squirrel, the Three-Toed Sloth.
I make drinks so sweet and snazzy, The Iced Tea, the Kamikaze.
The Orgasm, the Death Spasm, The Singapore Sling, the Ding-a-Ling.
America, you're just devoted, to every flavor I've got.
But if you want to get loaded, Why don't you just order a shot!"

T. Cruise (Bar tender, Actor, Poet)

About this blog:

This weblog is intended for responsible legal drinkers of legal drinking age and older.   It's about cocktails.  It's about spirits. It's about mixing things up, pouring them into a martini glass or over the rocks, and taking a sip.  Sipping slowly.  If you're under the drinking age of your locale or simply not interested in consuming alcohol, please take a look at my non-alcoholic blog: sip.  In the meantime, please be rational when it comes to drinking.  It's simple, really.  Just sip slowly.